Fort St. Charles
Marker location: Warroad Point Park, at the end of Lake St. NE
Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye, established Fort St. Charles on Lake of the Woods in 1732. A daring soldier, fur trader and explorer, Pierre had the ambitious dream of finding the fabled “western sea” and sought to establish French outposts along the way. On Magnusson Island (then connected with the mainland) he built a palisaded fort which he named in honor of Charles de Beauharnois, governor of New France. Fort St. Charles became the western capital of the French empire in the northwest. From it expeditions were launched and supplies dispatched to newer posts around Lake Winnipeg. Indians brought furs to trade for white men’s goods and these pelts were sent by canoe to Montreal. The scarcity of food and Indian warfare made life precarious. In 1736 Pierre’s oldest son John Baptiste de La Vérendrye, 19 voyageurs, and the Jesuit priest Father Aulneau, were sent on an expedition to the east for supplies. They were massacred by a Sioux war party on a nearby island. Abandoned after 1760, the fort was rediscovered and marked by a group of Jesuit fathers in 1908. The site was acquired and the buildings reconstructed by the Minnesota 4th Degree Knights of Columbus some 40 years later.
Send Message to listing owner
Listing Title: Fort St. Charles